Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

To resolve or not resolve...that is the question. I usually don't put too much thought into New Year's resolutions, because I know myself well enough to know that long-term goals don't work. I make mini-resolutions on a daily, if not hourly, basis anyway--small, constant reminders to handle situations better, to get off my ass and do something productive (even if that's ten minutes from now), to set a good example for my son, etc.

I don't think it's a bad idea for some people to make resolutions. In fact, most people I know at least seem to be capable of handling and maybe even accomplishing these long-term goals. My brain doesn't work that way, unfortunately.

However, in the interest of personal betterment, I'm going to make a list of resolutions that I know I WON'T accomplish. (**Upon reading the list afterward, I realize that some of these are unmeasurable---so that I can lie and say I accomplished them.) These are in no particular order--they appear as they pop into my head, randomly and without any prior thought.

1. Facilitate home improvement--renovate at least one more room in 2009, besides the bathroom project currently underway.

2. Have another baby--this one will be even more difficult to achieve than Andrew was because James doesn't want to even discuss it.

3. Be less judgmental and demanding of perfection towards people in my life, including myself. That's like saying "don't breathe," but I'll give it a shot.

4. Worry less about things that might happen and focus on things that are happening.

5. Be more financially responsible.

6. Continue to be healthy, and maybe even get in better shape. Now there's a novel idea.

7. Write more---here, short stories, poetry, maybe even a book.

8. Procrastinate less. I should have left this one for #10.

9. Grade papers immediately (oh yeah, gotta get the crate of papers out of the back of the car where they've been sitting since Dec. 19)

10. Remove stressors from my life.

We'll see what happens.

>

No comments: