Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday...Six Pack?

Saturday's Six-Pack was apparently so great that I passed out on the couch around 10 PM last night, and when I woke up, it was Sunday.  Really...I CRASHED on the couch and slept for three good, solid hours before the hubby woke me up to tell me it was time to go to bed.  Of course, then I felt like crap, but I was wide awake, so I put myself to bed and tried to read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.  I don't know what it is with that book and me, but we just don't get along.  It makes no sense, because it's a vampire/Dracula thing--right up my alley, or so I would assume.  But it drags...and drags...and drags...I'm determined to finish it, because I already quit reading it once, but it's not going very well.

Yesterday was a little too exciting for my taste.  It was raining, and windy, and there were some wicked thunderstorms supposedly heading our way, but it wasn't bad here.  We had some errands to run, so we set out "for town."  Halfway there, I got a TORNADO WARNING for your area message sent to my phone from the Weather Channel.  Yikes!  We turned on the radio, and the guy on the local station was detailing where the tornado was...about 15 miles away from us, and heading in our direction.  In an effort to, "seek immediate shelter," we headed for the mall.  Several blocks away, though, the torrential downpour became so vicious that we couldn't see to drive, so we ducked into the closest parking lot and rode out the majority of the storm in the local Michaels.  There was at least one tornado which tore through an area near the hubby's work.  Our basement flooded to about 8 inches deep (thank goodness for sump pumps!), but other than that, we escaped unscathed (well, except for metaphorical crapping of the britches at the news of the tornado).

Being stuck at Michaels turned out to be okay, though, because one thing on my list to accomplish yesterday was decorating a hat for Andrew to wear in the kindergarten's Spring Parade on Wednesday (the last day before break).  This is what "we" ended up with (I may have gotten a little carried away.):

Started out as a foam top hat.  Ended up looking like Mother Nature puked on it.

In this scene, the little chicks are hatching from plastic Easter eggs glued to the top of the hat.
I'm going to try to go up to Andrew's school on Wednesday morning for the parade--the thought of all the little guys marching around the school in their hats is too cute to resist.  After that, they have their Spring Spree--the kindergarteners get paper coins to spend, and the 1st graders are going to "sell" them products like face painting, stickers, and little goodies like that.  What a great idea!  (Plus it's a neat way to have a celebration without having an Easter "party.")  Genius!

After the craft store spree, the weather had calmed enough for us to make it to the mall, where my little boy immediately wanted to know if the arcade was still open.  So after a quick trip to Bath and Body Works to pick up mini hand sanitizers for Andrew's backpack and some Wallflowers refills, the kid got what he wanted...
Our younger cat is a nest builder.  She wiggles herself into folds in blankets, and then somehow manages to cover herself up.  This is typically how and where I find her.  Of course, we make it easier for her, since we never make the bed, but this pile is of her own creation.
In other random news, I love these little wild things that grow in our yard.  Anyone have an idea of what they are?  In this picture, they are intermingled with some tulip stems, but they grow in lots of places in the yard. 
Okay, off to grab some coffee and get started cleaning this pigsty.  The boys have a "To Do" list as well--head to Batteries Plus to buy a replacement battery for Andrew's Corvette (before he's old enough to drive a real one--the thing has been out of commission for almost a whole year), and to get some additional hardware for the brand-new-to-us-FREE play structure.  It's good to see the sun!

1 comment:

Tam said...

I have not finished reading your post because I had to comment about The Historian...OMG! I have had that book for a years now and I can not finish it! I am a book freak and I have to finish them but this book and me have had an on and off again affair that it has become a big joke between my friends and me. I think I really HATE this book..LOL

On Confusion and Covid Tests

Photo credit: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/ 20200323/new-test-will-give -covid-19-results-in-45-minutes Turns out "confusion&q...