Thursday, April 21, 2011

Wednesday Whatevers

Hooray!  I'm finally on Spring Break!  Well, technically, tomorrow is a teacher workday, but the powers that be decided last week to let us have an "at home" workday.  It's a bone they're throwing us, I guess to make up for the fact that our salaries have been frozen for several years in a row.  And hey, I'll take it!  They didn't specify which home I had to work from, so I'll be "working" from our place at the lake.  And actually, I probably will be working.  I have three sections and a final reflection paper to complete for the class I'm taking, and I MUST finish ASAP, or I won't have to worry about pay freezes.  Or pay.  Period.  The laptop I borrowed from school and I will be good friends this weekend; it's too bad there's no internet (or maybe that's a good thing--it will limit my distractions).

I'm reading a book right now called Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah.  (No, I haven't finished The Historian, I just interrupted it.  Again.)  Anyway, I was reading this afternoon and laughed out loud at a comment one character made to another:  "Chief?  Julia says you're in the car.  if you don't answer, I'm going to tell everyone you wrote a letter to Rick Springfield in the eighth grade.  Over."  And then I thought, "So what?  Who could possibly be embarrassed by THAT?"  I made up an entire story in 7th grade about how my mother was friends with Rick Springfield (they're the same age, ha) just to make one of my friends jealous.  She even bought it for a while.  Duh.

It's approaching the time of year when I begin to get annoyed with people for planning things on weekends.  May is typically a rough month socially, and while I think I'm pretty social with my inner circle of family and friends, I don't like social obligations.  There are already three back-to-back weekends that we have obligations for during May; those shindigs interfere with lake time and my weekends of relaxation, and I just don't like it.  If I were a betting woman, my money would be on me not attending all of them. 

I was at Andrew's school today for their Spring Spree and Hat Parade.  Pictures will have to come later, because HOLY COW, it's already midnight, and I don't feel like messing with them.  But anyway, A's teacher announced to the kids during their calendar time that in thirty days, they would be FIRST graders.  Ugggh.  He's growing up way too fast for me! 

Speaking of growing up, Andrew has his first loose tooth, which I think he's determined to keep in his mouth forever.  He won't let me wiggle it, he cringes and freaks at the mention of pulling it (he really is going to have to "man up" at some point), and it's just a-danglin' there driving me nuts!  I keep saying that I think it would be neat if the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny could come on the same night, and today I added that they could ride together.  (I'm sure the gas prices are hurting them, too!)  Andrew said, "The Tooth Fairy doesn't even exist!"  I expressed my shock and dismay that he would think such a thing, only to be told that they couldn't ride together because the Easter Bunny is real, but the "Tooth Fairy is just a legend!"  What kind of logic is that, even for a 5 year-old?  I would believe in the chick with the money and forget the rodent with the candy!

I was folding socks and underwear tonight...and then I found five dollars!  And as much as that phrase is the corny punchline to a story without a point, tonight it happened for REAL!  And in no other place than inside a pair of the hubby's tidy whiteys.  Without even questioning why a five dollar bill was in his undies (is he stripping for cash on his lunch hour?), I did what any self-respecting laundress without pockets would do--I stuffed it in my bra and kept it.  Laundry has to have SOME perks!

1 comment:

Tobye said...

I'm reading the book Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah right now. It's the first book I have read by her, and I'm really liking it. I'll have to check the other one out. :)

On Confusion and Covid Tests

Photo credit: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/ 20200323/new-test-will-give -covid-19-results-in-45-minutes Turns out "confusion&q...