Monday, July 28, 2008

Weekend Wrap-up

Okay, it's late, and I have to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for GMA tomorrow (RICK!!!!), so we'll just do the highlights reel.

Friday: So forgettable that we've already forgotten what we did. Really. Which means it was probably nothing, or darn close to it.

Saturday: James and Andrew spent a good part of the day outside in the little pool and the sandbox having fun in the sun while I did housework. I know, yippee, right?? But, after trying to get stuff done during the week and not being able to give my undivided attention to the dirt, it's refreshing and invigorating to be able to just motor through the rooms without a little helper. I tidied almost the entire upstairs and put away a sh*t-ton of clean laundry (uggh--my least favorite chore). Never got to the bathroom, though, because I got side-tracked by this pit of an "office." I've been spending more time in here this summer than I usually do, so it's been getting on my nerves. I even sent James out for paint to cover up the 30-year old yellow rose wallpaper, but he ran into Mark and Angie at Walmart; they invited us over for dinner, so I never got to paint. Oh well. We had a great time at M&A's--it was nice to hang out with them since we hadn't seen them in an eon. Andrew and Raegan had a ball---she's the world's best babysitter and kept Andrew very entertained.
THE BEST THING EVER was Raegan's old Dora house--complete with furniture, Abuela, Dora's parents, etc. Andrew does still like Dora, and he's all about playing with little people and acting scenarios out, so he was in heaven. Negotiations are in the works to transfer ownership. We all (except the big boys) got suckered into playing with it at one point---margaritas made it tolerable. We were REALLY late getting home---like, midnight, but Andrew's nap had been from 3-6, so he was fine, until he walked into Angie's kitchen counter, that is.

Sunday: Andrew and I both slept until 10:00---a new world record, but after his late night, he needed it (and I always do). We talked about going swimming, but the weather was looking a little stormy and we were kind of unmotivated, so we didn't. We finally left the house around 2:30 and went to the Dollar General store (yee-haw) where we found today's BEST THING EVER---a Doodlebops guitar! Andrew's birthday is in a couple of weeks, so we managed to do a sneaky purchase and get it to the car without him seeing it. I'll regret buying it, but he'll love it. Then it was off to Burger King---Andrew loves the indoor play apparatus there, so I forced him to eat a half a cheeseburger before his 11 million trips through the tunnels and down the slide. He managed to crack his head again going into the tunnel (counting Saturday at Angie's house, that's 4 times in the same number of days--I think it must be a growth spurt or something making him not realize how tall he is or how much clearance he has for things--poor kid has bumps and bruises all over his face) and make about 17 trips to the bathroom. No, he's not sick, but he had to poop, and he has to be comfortable to do that, so he kept psyching himself out of it. He finally did, much to our relief. Everyone in BK was happy to hear it, too, as Andrew left the restroom and hollered to James in the little playroom, "I pooped in the potty!" Thankfully the only people there besides employees were an ancient couple who probably didn't hear it anyway. After leaving BK, we drove around for a while (frivolously wasting gas, I know) and let Andrew have a nap in the car.

Later on, we were headed outside--I was going to put up a new clothesline and check on the garden while the boys played in the sandbox. I got about 15 feet from the garden and nearly peed my pants (I'm fairly certain I screamed "oh, sh*t!!!!!" loud enough for all the neighbors to hear), because there, on my garden fence, was a GINORMOUS black snake. Mom had just told me yesterday about a snake getting caught in the deer netting around their fence--their reptilian friend had baked in the sun and was already dead and sorta shriveled up. Apparently they get caught in the mesh of the netting and can't get out for anything. Our icky little pal had managed to get himself stuck right at the entrance to the garden, and I wasn't sure if he was dead or not, so I called James to come out (never taking my eye off the snake, just in case). Anyway, long story short--it wasn't dead, I screamed about 10 times, Andrew thought it was hysterical, and James ended up having to chop it in two pieces with a hoe, at which point I thought I was going to hurl. I might still. Andrew yelled, "Hit him, Daddy, hit him," which I didn't discourage since it was a snake (I know, God's creature, blah blah blah, and if one more person tells me they're beneficial because they keep mice down, I'm going to vomit). Granted, if we could have freed it, we would have, but there was no way, and the thing was just going to suffer longer than the sixteen hoe chops it took James to kill it. Yes, sixteen---big snake, cheap hoe, bad angle---the perfect storm. James flung the back half of it into the woods, but the front half was still stuck in my fence (which is now ruined) and STILL SLITHERING, GAG!!!! I'm definitely having nightmares. Anyway, I was going to crop the picture, but Neanderthal Man insisted on having his kill visible to the whole world, so blame him for the graphic nature of the next picture. If you're squeamish, don't look---it's really gross.

Okay, so that wasn't so short. Ooops. 6 hours 'til Rick on t.v.!!

No comments: