Saturday, June 06, 2009

Now Close the Windows

Now close the windows and hush all the fields:
If the trees must, let them silently toss;
No bird is singing now, and if there is,
Be it my loss.

It will be long ere the marshes resume,
I will be long ere the earliest bird:
So close the windows and not hear the wind,
But see all wind-stirred.

--Robert Frost

I re-stumbled across this poem the other day, and it's kind of haunting me. There's something about the way "Now close the windows" sounds that really affects me. Poetically, I know it's assonance/internal rhyme, but there's something else there too. It sounds like a good nighttime poem; so there it is--good night. But I'm leaving the windows open. :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this poem.. it is beautiful!

Sarah :) said...

It is a beautiful poem. I am definitely a Robert Frost fan.
Now close all the windows and hush all fields... it gives me goosebumps. :)

Tobye said...

Thanks for posting that. It does have a haunting quality, doesn't it?

On Confusion and Covid Tests

Photo credit: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/ 20200323/new-test-will-give -covid-19-results-in-45-minutes Turns out "confusion&q...