Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday Six-Pack

I feel like this Saturday actually deserves a twelve-pack, but I'm not sure I have that much energy.  I'm craving a nap desperately, but that's probably not in the cards either. 

1.  We welcomed spring with a trip to the lake last weekend.  It was our first trip down since we closed down the house in December, so we had a bunch of stuff to take down with us, and some cleaning to do.  No real damage was sustained this winter, other than the continuously leaky roof staining an interior wall (guess what the first real project will be this spring!), and other than two dead mice in the utility sink, there wasn't even that much cleaning to do.  We managed to fit in an impromptu deck party at our place, dinner out at a local sports bar (and some good basketball watching), the first boat ride of the season, and quite a bit of laziness.  I have missed it.


The humble, yet lovable, lake abode.

2.  Andrew got his cast off on Monday.  Did I mention the broken pinky?  Well, it's all healed now, and back to business as usual.  And by that, I mean that I have to work extra hard with him on his handwriting, because he's used it as an excuse to be messy.  We handled the first (hopefully last) broken bone. 

3.  Andrew is having his first official play date right now.  He had kind of rough week at school dealing with a kid pushing him around, so I offered to let his best friend come over.  I thought now would be a good time too, because soon we won't be around on the weekends much.  He and his buddy have, in the span of three hours, had an outside lightsaber battle, played with super hero action figures, had a snack, played Wii, played firefighter and policeman (complete with costumes), dressed up and saved the world as Spider Man and Super Man, and are now putting on quite a rock concert.  I hope they're having fun.

4.  Tomorrow we will celebrate my dad's 66th birthday.  He and the famn damily are coming over for a traditional family meal of spitzad, which I'm not sure how to spell...hell, I'm not even sure it really exists, other than in my family.  The closest thing I can compare it to is a kind of ragout--tomato sauce base, with potatoes, green peppers, and chicken hearts and gizzards.  Yes, I said it.  Chicken hearts and gizzards.  It's really quite delicious.  I'll take pictures.

5.  I'm not happy about the weather reports for this weekend.  It's spring, for crying out loud, and the last I heard, they're calling for several inches of snow.  Grrrr.  Unless it gets me a snow day on Monday, I want nothing to do with it.  And it needs to warm up, dammit.  We have about three drops of heating oil left, and I'm freezing!  Bring on the WARMTH!

6.  I haven't felt great for the last few days.  Several years ago, I was diagnosed with PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) after having heart palpitations that got a little scary.  Supposedly, there's nothing to worry about--they're anxiety/stress induced, triggered by all kinds of random things like caffeine, low potassium, etc...but since that initial diagnosis, I hadn't had them with any frequency or severity.  Until Thursday afternoon, when they just started out of nowhere while I wasn't even doing anything.  They are terrible when I'm at rest--right now, they aren't happening, but I guarantee that if I tried to sit down on the couch and read or even lie to take a nap, they'd be kicking my ass.  They are interfering with my sleep, and nothing pisses me off more than not being able to sleep.  The more they happen, the more I worry, and the more I worry, the more they happen.  Ugggh! 

The boys have moved on to playing school now.  I know someone else who's going to be really tired tonight.

1 comment:

alisha said...

1. Sounds like a good weekend!
2. Glad to hear it's healed.
3. I think it sounds like they are having a blast!!!
4. Interesting family meal.
5. I like snow, but agree that there is a limit.
6. That sucks!
7. I've been reading your blog for so long that I feel like it would be so nice to meet you!!! I'll be down that way this summer visiting some friends in the Carolinas...maybe we could meet up!

On Confusion and Covid Tests

Photo credit: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/ 20200323/new-test-will-give -covid-19-results-in-45-minutes Turns out "confusion&q...