Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Breaking the Run

I just can't do it tonight, folks.  I hate that I've gotten this far through the month, only to be defeated before finishing.  But here's the scoop:  I just spent the last hour wrestling, negotiating, calming, and most likely traumatizing Andrew, who had a tick embedded in the skin below his belly button.  The damn thing's head was jammed in there, and come to find out, it's been there for three days and Andrew knew it.  Ugggh!  And then it all comes out---he's been SUDDENLY independent about getting dressed and undressed for the last three days--handling it ALL on his own, without us even in the room.  He told me (the little booger) that he just decided that he should be doing it on his own.  Well, he was really trying to hide the parasite that had taken up residence.  I saw him checking out his belly button a couple of times, but when I asked him what he was doing, he always said, "Nothing," in the sort of way that made me think he REALLY had something to hide, if you get my drift.  So, he cried, and screamed, and became completely hysterical about me pulling the tick out.  I'd get his arms out of the way, and he'd bend his knees so I couldn't get to it.  I'd get his legs pinned down, and he would sprout octopus arms and fight me off.  I.  am.  exhausted.  But, I finally got the little bastard (the tick, not Andrew) pulled off and stored in rubbing alcohol (just in case), the child comforted and read to, and now I need a stiff drink.  And to make a long story short, I don't feel like playing along with the Thirty Day Challenge.  So, I'll do two tomorrow night, and it's not TERRIBLE because I still posted in spite of the trauma I've been through.  And I can rationalize anything, including the dessert I'm about to have at 10 p.m.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds as if you really "ticked" Andrew off!! Glad the "tick-ectomy" was a success!

V.O.R.

On Confusion and Covid Tests

Photo credit: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/ 20200323/new-test-will-give -covid-19-results-in-45-minutes Turns out "confusion&q...