Sunday, September 01, 2013

Bloody Mary and the Pepper Jack Pigs

I can muster some excitement about college football season starting right now because it's very, very fresh.  I've said before, I like the idea of going to football games, and I certainly support our Dukes, but the luster quickly wears off and I become bored.  For now, though, the season just started, and the novelty is still there.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

We made a last-minute, agonizing decision to stay home from the lake yesterday so we could attend the home opener at JMU.  It had been quite the dilemma, so I was happy to just have a decision made.  We packed up the tailgating supplies, somehow managed to find purple to wear, and headed to the 'burg for the fun and frivolity.

Tailgating is my favorite sport.  Sitting around with a drink in my hand hanging with my favorite peeps is just good fun, and I LIKE that the toughest decision I have to make when tailgating is what to drink!  I'm not big on tailgating games, though...Corn-hole doesn't keep my attention, ladder golf has always scared me, with good reason, and running around throwing a football?  Well, let's just leave that to the boys, because I don't want to get sweaty.  But, I may have found a game I can get behind...KanJam!  Two "trash cans" and a Frisbee--who invents these things?  It's  fun...but you have to stay alert, or you'll take a Frisbee to the face.  Trust me on that.



Several Bloody Marys and Pepper Jack Pigs in Blankets later, it was game time, and the masses headed into the stadium.  Andrew was impressed enough by his run-in with Duke Dog, who had a new scepter with him, to make this Sharpie sketch during the game. 
Football games are as much about the pre-game and the marching band for me as they are about football.  I get giddy with emotion during the "America the Beautiful" and "The Star-Spangled Banner", and the sound of the drum line reverberating off the sides of the stadium gives me the chills.  My personal high point of the game?  Hearing the MRD's ROCK "Start Wearing Purple."  Most of the football crowd wasn't sure what to think, but they will..."it's just a matter of time!"

The game was great, the Dukes won easily, and it turned out that the golf cart parade at the lake was rained out anyway, so good calls all around.  To sum up, it was a day in which these things happened:

I discovered a new recipe.
My purples didn't match.
Andrew got a job.
I took a Frisbee to the face.
The boy ripped his pants, not once, but twice.  (Darn tailgates!)
A shot-gunning contest was lost.
I did not fall down.
We paid more to park than we did for tickets.
We did not take a shuttle bus.
Leigh Ann and Kristi became Hokie widows.


Tootsie Roll Pops made me cry, and I missed Bev, terribly.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I missed her terribly, too. Thank you to you and LA for remembering to bring them. I really appreciated it. ❤

sherry said...

I would love to see more of Andrew's great artwork.

On Confusion and Covid Tests

Photo credit: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/ 20200323/new-test-will-give -covid-19-results-in-45-minutes Turns out "confusion&q...