Monday, September 16, 2013

A Road Trip is Good for the Soul

Home is where the heart is.  And the laundry, and the animals, and the scattered toys, and the daily strife and struggles...they're all there too.  And so, sometimes, it's just good to get away and not take those things with me.

I have friends who run marathons, or do tough man competitions, or travel to exotic locations.  I imagine it's for the same reasons, both physical and mental well-being.  But I don't need great adventures!  I don't need to go to places I've never been.  I don't need physical endurance challenges (although I occasionally make exceptions for new things, like paddle boarding). I'm  quite a bit easier to please!  A road trip with one of my "besties," listening to her sometimes questionable music choices, and laughing about the silliest things is a great stress reliever for me.  Add in a little shopping, a LOT of people watching (and wildlife...okay, just frogs named Fred and killer rats, but still), and a little well-timed alcohol, and it's a recipe for good fun.  

It's also of great therapeutic value to me to be able to sleep as much as I want, or as little as I want, to not have to do anything really.  Even at home, under the most relaxing of circumstances, there's always a mountain of laundry looming, or meals to figure out, or the dog to walk...all of which make me feel guilty for taking naps in the middle of the day, reading my book, or just watching bad TV that's not kid-friendly.

It's also sort of decadent, and necessary, to sometimes just have myself to worry about.  Don't misread me here, I'm NOT complaining about wifehood or motherdom.  Quite the opposite, I think.  All the moms I know will tell you...it's our first role, our primary reason for existence, all other roles be damned.  It's who we are!  Underneath all that, though, I'm still me, even though there are times when it's necessary to put that to the side to focus on everyone else.  Again, not a complaint.  It just is.  Like when I try to change into comfy clothes after work and can't even go upstairs without feeling like the Pied Piper, as the kid, the dog, and the cat all follow me every step of the way--our daily parade, only nobody's throwing candy.

Ahh, this went from fun to philosophical in the blink of an eye...the story of my life.   I guess my point is, that, someday, and probably sooner than I realize, I just won't be as necessary as I am now.  Kids grow up, start their own activities, and need their poor moms less and less. Suffice it to say that it's in everyone's best interests if I've retained my sanity and my sense of who I am, so that I'm not thrown completely for a loop when that happens.  Get a hobby, you say?  What, like writing a blog in my spare time?  I'll do that, too...but every now and then, a little inspiration is a good thing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Questionable music choices", huh?? Next time its Randy Travis the whole way! LOL ;-) Great Blog!

On Confusion and Covid Tests

Photo credit: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/ 20200323/new-test-will-give -covid-19-results-in-45-minutes Turns out "confusion&q...