Friday, July 11, 2008

FLASHBACK FRIDAY!

Okay, so it is my turn to do Flashback Friday.

If you read the chicken post from earlier this week, you know I've been doing a lot of thinking about my childhood lately. This time of year always does that. Spending a week with my dad and sister and the prospect of turning 40 in seven months also has me looking longer in the rear-view mirror.

Anyway, this being July...summer, my time of year...leads me to a story about my parents. Back in the early '80's, we lived on Long Island. In addition to their regular jobs, my parents owned a Good Humor ice cream truck. That was great for me, even though I probably still owe my dad for all of the 1982 Topps baseball cards I nabbed off the truck. It was also really cool in the evenings to grab the key to the back door and slide out to the truck for a Strawberry Shortcake ice cream bar (or two).

This picture is from July 1982. In addition to the Good Humor truck, we added a hotdog truck to the fleet and managed to get the vending concession at a beach close to our house. This is a picture of my mom manning the ice cream truck taken from the hot dog truck. You can even see the "Vito's" on the side of the h.d. truck - obviously from the previous owner.

I remember that summer quite well. This picture always makes me happy and sad, too. I miss my mom.

---J

No comments:

On Confusion and Covid Tests

Photo credit: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/ 20200323/new-test-will-give -covid-19-results-in-45-minutes Turns out "confusion&q...